Monday, November 19, 2007

Lightning Strike


You want to talk Industry? Current industry? Then we have to talk about the strike. I don’t want to, but that’s all there is. Friend already posted about the strike a few times, but that was weeks ago. Things have moved forward since then with some serious progress. And of course by that, I really mean that no headway has been made what so ever. I have yet to see any budging from either side. There is a reason for this: Everyone in Hollywood wants to prove how badass they are. Or at least show who has the most important job. I would love to take this argument back and forth with the whole “Which came first? The Chicken or the Egg” thing, but seriously…come on. The writers hold all the weight. If you disagree, you’re a dumbass.

For all the people in this town that have more than enough money to hold them over, the strike is nothing more to them than a vacation. That’s why most of the high-end actors, and talk show hosts are all in support for this thing. They don’t care. I wouldn’t either if were them. I would be on an exotic island somewhere lying on the beach until I got a phone call. If it lasted 22 weeks like it did last time, then so be it. I would come back with a hell of a tan. I can’t wait until the talk shows come back on. It will be like in elementary school when you go back to class after Christmas break and cant wait to tell everyone what presents you got. Only now it will be a ton of B-list actors telling all of America how they spent their time while the writers were striking. “Well, since I couldn’t act, I bought a hovercraft and road it all the way up the pacific coast and became one with the seagulls.”

It’s not the actors I’m worried about; it’s the production crews. They are taking a really hard hit, and I feed badly for the people loosing their jobs over this just so to make other people feel bad for going on strike. Even more so, I feel for the kids that moved all the way out the LA in hopes of pursuing their dreams of working in the film industry and arriving to find nothing more than a bunch of pissed off writers and empty sets. The people that are already working the jobs that these kids seek, are getting fired, so there is no way in hell they are going to hire anyone else right now. And when this thing finally blows over, there are going to be twice as many people looking for the same amount of jobs. It sucks, it really does…. I would hire them all myself, but I would have to make pay cuts, and that would probably make my already existing employees go on a strike of their own. Damn those writers and their ability to think of everything!

AJ

0 Comments:

Google
 

© Blogger Templates |Tech Blog