Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Breaking In

I often get asked the age old question. How do I make it in Hollywood? That really depends on what you mean by making it and/or what you really want to do. I really can’t tell you how an actor makes it in the business or a director. The only way that I’ve personally seen people do well in those professions is to meet me. The only advice I can give is to tell people how I made it.

If you want anyone to give you anything you have to have something they want. I learned that after tons of letters and resumes went unanswered. I sent off scripts to studios and talent agencies. Some were returned unopened and most were probably tossed in the trashcan. I did everything I knew how to do to make my place in the business, but nothing ever really happened until I actually arrived in the city of angels.

Everyone is told that if you want to make it in Hollywood, naturally, you need to move to Hollywood. That’s true in theory, but the important thing to remember is that you have to plant your seed before you arrive. If you show up in this town with nothing, it’s like showing up to a golf game without any clubs. You need to have something that people want.

I knew that I could write screenplays, but I also knew that other people could as well. I knew that I was passionate about the business, but I also knew that other people were. That’s why I chose to go to law school. I needed something to set me apart from the competition. I needed a gimmick and law school gave me that edge. Sadly, the hardest thing about Hollywood is getting a foot in the door, and that’s what law school did for me. It put me in the same position as someone who grew up in Los Angeles with a powerful father. It got me in the door.

Once you are in the dance club you can meet ladies, and once you are in the business you can start to make things happen. I’d written a script that I knew could make waves, but I needed my foot in the door before anyone would take me seriously. I needed law school to get my foot in the door. Graduate school is not for everyone, but it can definitely give one an edge up if they need it. Some don’t. It can also be a huge waste of money if not used correctly. Your route is really up to you.

LD

0 Comments:

Google
 

© Blogger Templates |Tech Blog